Friday, August 13, 2004

Kalustyans


Kalustyans
Originally uploaded by lools.

I found my way to Kalustyans last weekend after a heavy but delicious meal at Chennai Garden nearby.
I just wanted to pick up some spices for a Tandoori Gobi recipe that I was planning to cook for dinner. But from the minute I walked into the door, I was totally enchanted by the sights and smells coming from every corner of the store. So this is where the serious cooks in New York get their special ingredients from!

I spent over an hour in the store and couldn't get enough of it. They had over 30 different varieties of chillis alone - from Ancho and Bird's Eye to Habanero and my favourite Kashmiri Mirchi. And the prices seemed pretty reasonable as well.

In addition to spices, Kalustyans stocks an amazing array of ingredients for Indian, Chinese, Mexican, Spanish and Middlen Eastern Cuisine. Definitely a destination that I will be returning to time and again.

123 Lexington Ave
New York, NY 10016

Store Hours:
Mon - Sat 10am-8pm EST
Sun/Holiday 11am-7pm EST

TEL : 212-685-3451

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a NYer living in NJ. I used to work down the street from Kalustyan's and used to go there when no one else knew about the place. I used to wait until payday and then I would spend 1/3 of my check in the store. I would put some things in my desk and bring them home slowly so my husband wouldn't know that I spent such a fortune on spices and stuff.

It is a wonderful store. The best! Try their falafel spice. It isn't just a curry powder to be used on falafel but i used it in my mayonnaise when I make tuna salad. It is my signature sandwich now. Hubby asks for it.

They also sell British ingredients not found anywhere else and their prices are reasonable. They have malab, they have fresh pita breads and naan, middle eastern foods, thai, you name it. The place to go. Glad you found it so quickly.

When in NYC, I always go to Kalustyan's and I stock up on my favorite things - onion naan, garam masala spices to be ground up, oils, sauces, chiles, and I always go back on the train loaded up!

I'm glad you love my favorite place. I miss being able to go there once every 2 weeks.

I am enjoying your blog. I've thought of writing one myself. Everyone says I am such a foodie and I should have my own. Maybe one day...

RisaG

3:52 PM  
Blogger lulu said...

Hi Risa

Thanks for your feedback. Nice to meet a fellow foodie and Kalustyans fan..

You know, it took me over a year and a half myself to get going. A close friend and ex-colleague of mine, Amy Sherman inspired me. Check out her blog at :

http://amylovestocook.blogspot.com

Keep reading!

2:54 PM  
Blogger gs said...

hi lulu
any further visits to kalustyan? even the nobel committee has recognised the research done by the american scientists on the reasons why the olfactory nerves get provoked.have you read about that?
gs

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home