Friday, October 01, 2004

Lychee Martini to die for!


martini
Originally uploaded by lools.

The Mojito at Le Colonial. The Lemon Drop at The Redwood Room. These were my absolutely favourite drinks in San Francisco. Here in Manhattan, I've finally found my drink of choice - it's the Lychee Martini at Nobu.

I wrote about Nobu a while back on this blog - it's one of Manhattan's most sought after restaurants. Folks wait months to get reservations! I usually rely on my tried and tested method - show up and try my luck! Somehow it's always worked for me. Believe it or not, we got in yesterday as well. Not at Nobu Next Door which is supposed to be the first-come first-serve part of the establishment but at THE Nobu itself. I'm sure it was because everyone else stayed home to watch Kerry and Bush go at each other!

I won't write much about the fantastic Japanese food but I have to tell you about the Lychee Martinis I sipped on throughout dinner. They are to die for!!! They were the smoothest, most perfect martinis I've ever had. Even the lychees, which are usually canned and lifeless in these type of drinks, were fresh and incredibly succulent at Nobu just like their sashimi.I'm not exaggerating when I say that I was "oohing" and "aahing" after every sip! I'm so thankful that I passed on my original order of the fig martini after the waiter raised his eyebrow, suggested it might be a bit too sugary and recommended the lychee one instead! It certainly seems to me that the bartenders at Nobu have perfected this tres trendy drink that was born at the Buddha Bar in Paris.

In case you feel like shaking up some vodka at home, here's the recipe:

INGREDIENTS:
1 measure (50ml) premium vodka
2 tsp fresh lychee juice
ice
1 lychee, peeled and stoned


PREPARATION:
Shake together the vodka, lychee juice and ice and strain into a martini glass. Garnish with the peeled lychee.

Cheers!!

4 Comments:

Blogger gs said...

hi foodie and now drinkie?
that was an interesting posting.i too am very fond of lychees.when i go abroad,i find that they are always available in chinese restaurants.during the season you get them fresh;off-season you have to settle down with tinned ones.i normally go for the lychee icecream.next time i will try out the lychee martini.harsha would be offended if you tell him that it is the best martini you have had.he fixes some really good cocktails too.i remember the strong ones he made for his appa before jumping into the jacuzzi.and that reminds me of a big scandal that has hit the headlines here.will send that story by separate email.
love.
appa

9:39 PM  
Blogger SteamyKitchen said...

wonderful recipe for lychee martini....i've not had it at nobu yet.

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Carolina Santos Read said...

Hi Lulu!

I stumbled across your blog when trying to find a lychee recipe and I love your description of the Nobu martini! hehehe

I have been obsessed with the cocktail for a few years now (I live in Manhattan) and I have found my favorite places that make good lychee martinis:

1. Nobu and Tao are tied for 1st
2. Amber is number two
3. Sushi Samba is number three
4. Spice Market is number four
5. Room 55 bar in the dream hotel is number 5

Enjoy!! :) xoxo Carolina

11:21 AM  
Blogger Ruby said...

Will definitely make a few of these. Love the glassware!

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home