Monday, June 13, 2005

The outdoors, indoors



I miss my little Hibachi grill. Gone are the days of gorgeous Californian weather, barbecues galore and lounging on the deck till sunset. Living on the 28th floor of a typical Manhattan apartment building with no balcony to boast, I can barely get excited about grilling. But my grill pan has improved my life a little bit. Whether it's 90 degrees and sweltry or cool and perfectly calm, I count on my new best friend in the kitchen for grilled vegetable skewers, portobello mushroom burgers and a host of other barbeque delights. The only problem was that I set off the alarm bell whenever I turned the grill pan on. I've finally learnt how to keep the fire alarm in check by opening all the windows and my front door as well.

I ordered a pack of pre-made vegetable skewers from Fresh Direct a few days back. Usually, I like the to assemble the veggies myself but given the price of peppers these days, the prepared version was actually better value for money. And it came seasoned with olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper. It went from fridge to heated grill pan and voila, ten minutes later, grilled veggies were ready to be relished.

I also made a side using cooked brown rice, papaya, pitted black olives, red wine vinegar, EVOO, roasted slivered almonds, sea salt and freshly ground pepper served on a bed of lettuce with papaya wedges as garnish. Raghav came over for brunch. I was totally surprised that this hard core Delhiwala who likes his chickenmutton actually appreciated the vegetarian meal. It was nice catching up with him and enjoying a barbeque meal in the comfort of air conditioning!

5 Comments:

Blogger somewherein72 said...

Lulu...

I have to say....that the food in that picture looks very tasty. If I make it to New York on some random occasion....would you make me some kebabs like that? ;)

Mark

9:17 PM  
Blogger gs said...

indeed,they are objects of desire.they are what we call'shashlinks'.and i recently read to my surprise that originally kebabs were only vegetarian.

9:34 PM  
Blogger lulu said...

Thanks, Mark. Do let me know if you land up in Manhattan. I'll make you kebabs and you can teach me a thing or two about philosophy!

8:18 AM  
Blogger rums said...

wow i didn't know kebabs were vegetarian to begin with! i always made fun of my vegetarian friends who opted for veg kebabs while eating out. i feel so foolish now!!

8:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Don't feel foolish they're still far moreso than you even if that was true however it is most definetly not. It was brought to europa after the crusades from the middle east who have used it.

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home