Friday, December 09, 2005

Mediterranean Veggie Burger



I'm amazed how mainstream veggie burgers have become. As a freshman at Davidson in North Carolina, I used to ask for "Hamburgers without the beef" at the local McDonald's only to receive dumfounded stares from the staff taking the order. McDonald's has a McVeggie option these days but I find their burgers and fries unbelievably greasy. I had shied away from veggie burger at fast food joints, choosing only to indulge in the frozen patties that can be grilled at home. But a few weeks back I discovered a very flavourful and healthy veggie burger at New York Burger which has me hooked.

Homemade chickpeas and fresh herbs (parsely, dill, mint etc) are pound together and cooked to make an amazingly fresh and tasty patty that is served on a whole wheat bun with cucumber dill yogurt on the side. The burger comes with Idaho fries which are freshly cut and fried in 100% soybean oil so no transfats or cholestrol lurking around. I like to wash down the burger and fries with a fresh lemonade frappe.

New York Burger
303 Park
btw 23rd and 24th
212-254-2727

11 Comments:

Blogger Milton Falcon said...

I like your blog

6:29 PM  
Blogger gs said...

we have burgerking dishing out vadapavs,dime a dozen.
so,you had american'vada pav'.

7:10 PM  
Blogger lulu said...

thanks, milton!

dad - i had no idea burger king is also in india now.

11:35 AM  
Blogger gs said...

actually,i was referring to dheeraj gupta's jumbo king.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

Holy. Cow. You went to Davidson? My wife went to Davidson - class of 98! I lived in Raleigh and loved going down to that small town every other weekend. Word is that there's a natural market (Home Economist) there now!

2:11 PM  
Blogger lulu said...

Wow, Justin! It never ceases to amaze me what a small world we live in. Your wife and I overlapped for 3 years!! I'm sure she could find me in the yearbooks.
Can't believe that Davidson now has an organic market. I can only imagine how much more charming the town must have become over the years. Now you have me all homesick for college...

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best

11:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hii jaggu here, well , i read bye manhattan, quite liked it, and i would be lucky to be invited to one of yur parties. ciao..

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home