Sunday, April 17, 2005

Brunch at Chez Nous



Originally uploaded by lools.

Brunch was designed with New Yorkers in mind. Most of us get up late on weekend mornings when it's almost time for lunch but we're still craving the sweetness and egginess of breakfast goodies that we just don't want to pass up on for, god forbid, a salad or a sandwich.

We spend so much time finding the right spots to brunch that we almost forget how easy, simple and perfectly enjoyable brunch at home can be. After a morning workout yesterday, I was energized to prepare something at home instead of going through the painful routine of selecting a brunch place. It seemed faster to just whip up something at home.

I raided my kitchen and found some onions, baby potatoes and a green bell pepper. I chopped them up in half inch pieces and tossed them in extra virgin olive oil with some sea salt, freshly ground pepper and dried rosemary (fresh is preferable if at hand) before throwing them on a grill pan on high heat. Within 5 to 7 minutes I had a lovely hash browning.

In the meanwhile, I combined four eggs just until the yolks and whites were mixed. I took out some brie and a bottle of pepperonata that I had made a few weeks back. You can use roasted red pepppers as well. I poured half the egg mixture on a non-stick pan (that I had going on medium heat with some butter). After a few minutes, I added a few chunks of brie and a spoonful of the pepperonata mix. I let it cook for about 3 minutes and then neated folded the omelette over on a plate.

While a few slices of wheat bread were toasting, I grabbed some Bonne Maman marmalade and some orange juice. Voila, brunch was ready in under ten minutes. Note to self: brunch chez nous is always a good option.

3 Comments:

Blogger Amy Sherman said...

Great post. Another nice thing about eating at Chez Nous is the lack of dress code!

1:12 PM  
Blogger lulu said...

Couldn't agree with you more, Amy! I'm a big PJs gal :)

10:29 PM  
Blogger Nish said...

chez nous sounds lovely lulu, especially with the orange walls and the empire states greeting you good moring!! look forward to it when i'm in nyc next
since bbay is not abig brunch place - for husband and i, its always chez nous - the hash browns with a twist sound very good and will make this weekend!

3:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home