Monday, June 27, 2005

The best tiramisu in San Francisco



It's so lovely to be in the Bay Area. Driving up the 280, from the South Bay to San Francisco, on an absolutely gorgeous day makes me miss my Cabriolet oh so much. I had to sell my car when we moved to Manhattan last year. Being in California always reminds me of those sunny days when I had the top down all the way to work, despite the bad hair day that inevitably followed the morning commute.

I had an early dinner tonight with some close friends at Steps of Rome in North Beach. I usually don't like this touristy part of the city, but the traffic situation was out of control because of the gay parade so we didn't venture to parts of town (Haight Ashbury) that would have taken longer to get to.

Steps of Rome is a casual Italian trattoria that was voted Best Italian in 2004 for San Francisco. The most memorable part of my meal tonight was tiramisu - it was by far tastier than the ones I've had in many other places in the world. It was just the right level of moistness - not too gooey or too dry. The sweetness was perfect as well. As was the creaminess. And the freshness. What can I say? If you are ever in San Francisco, you have to stop by Steps of Rome and taste their tiramisu. It's like finding a bit of heaven on earth.

348 Columbus Ave, San Francisco

6 Comments:

Blogger rums said...

hmm your post reminded me that i have some mascarpone sitting around and i must try making some tiramisu at home.

3:02 AM  
Blogger gs said...

the only trattoria i will never forget is the one in sf and owned by my friend kewal's daughter and s-i-l.red wine spilling on my new jacket! were it not for lulu's presence of mind,it would have gone permanently to the cleaners.
the tiramisu looks tempting;but,do you think lulu that gb can do it?

6:06 AM  
Blogger The Yankee said...

I use to live in SF and eat at the Steps of Rome every now and then. Who named it Best Italian Restaurant? I would say its a good place to get a bowl of pasta but wonder how they got that award...

http://richardab.typepad.com/iheartnyc/

6:53 AM  
Blogger lulu said...

The Steps of Rome Trattoria was voted “Best Italian” in 2004 by the SF Weekly’s Reader’s Poll. The people have spoken :)

10:02 AM  
Blogger The Yankee said...

thats good to know. next time i am in SF i am gonna have pasta there.

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lulu,
the same with me, I always felt a little disappointed, when ordering tiramisu at a restaurant :) Either they do have a too strong alcoholic taste or the ladyfingers/bisquits are too dry. Logical consequence - I make tiramisu myself quite often, just posted my favorite recipe some days ago. Nothing beats a homemade tiramisu ;)

4:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home