Saturday, June 25, 2005

Radio Mexico



You know how much I love Mexican food and can't ever pass up an opportunity to eat at a Mexican restaurant. GG was in town today. He was staying near South Street Seaport, close to Ground Zero so H and I decided to meet him at Radio Mexico. I had heard about this place from Shivani who is my walking-talking version of Zagat's.

You feel transported to a cantina in Ensenada or Guadalajara at Radio Mexico. A large bar with lots of different tequilas is the star attraction. If you get here between 4:30 and 6:30 p.m. on weekdays, you can enjoy special frozen margaritas and play a few rounds of pool at the back of the restaurant. The only thing you can't really do is speak Spanish to the staff.

The food here was delicious. I didn't particularly care for the salsa but the guacamole with chipotle sauce was just delicious:



We also ordered stuffed jalapenos as an appetizer. The herbed cheese stuffing really set off the flavour of the grilled jalapenos:



GG loved his vegetable fajita:



And H hogged his chipotle burger that came with yummy fries:



I stuck to a simple, chopped salad as I had wolfed down a big fat Watsonville burrito at Uncle Moe's for lunch yesterday:



Radio Mexico
259 Front Street
212-791-5416

6 Comments:

Blogger The Yankee said...

My goodness those pics are interesting.... Did I ever tell you how much I dislike Mexican? The only Mexica I have enjoyed is off the taco stands in Los Angeles.

http://richardab.typepad.com/iheartnyc

7:41 PM  
Blogger gs said...

the pictures are terrific.i can smell the dishes almost and don't think i need any recipe.they look so good.
and by the way lulu,you must have been a mexican in your previous birth.fond of everything mexican-salsa,tango,spanish and what have you.and 4 years'stay in sf seems to have had a lot of influence for this preference.

3:37 AM  
Blogger lulu said...

Hi Richard,
Can't really react to the fact that you don't like Mexican food since you haven't said what it is about the food that you don't like. The fish tacos in Southern California are supposed to be really amazing.

Hi Dad,
Glad you liked the pictures! Yes, I definitely must have been Spanish in my previous birth. And just for the record, tango is Argentine and not Mexican.

8:00 AM  
Blogger gs said...

thanx for the correction.latin american,ok?

8:01 PM  
Blogger rums said...

come to think of it, lools you could easily pass off as a latin american.

3:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stumbled across your blog, and am also a big fan of Radio Mexico. I used to live nearby, and have since moved to Brooklyn, but still make a point to go there as often as possible. I loved your pictures. Everything looked yummy. I always order the fish tacos (which come with that yummy chipotle sauce you had on your guacamole) or the fajitas. Also, sitting at the outdoor tables under a big umbrella, looking at the river and the bridge, sipping a frozen margarita on a hot summer day, is pretty close to heaven.

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home