Saturday, July 02, 2005

Parineeta



I saw Parineeta today and totally loved it. It's the first Hindi movie I've seen in Manhattan. From the days of QSQT (Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak) when I first started understanding Hindi movies, Bollywood has come a long, long way. I was so amazed by the spectacular cinematography, brilliant acting, decent plot and of course, the songs. It was nice to get a taste of Calcutta in the 1960s though I wish they had shown more of the city. I should also add that the love scene between Saif and Vidya was very tastefully done and really beautiful.

Saif is my new favourite now - he has dethroned Shahrukh in my books. And Vidya Balan looks gorgeous in all the scenes. She is such a breath of fresh air in Hindi cinema. Also, I'm secretly glad to see increasing numbers of South Indian women make it big in Bollywood.

You can watch Parineeta at Loewes Theatre on Broadway and 46th. It's located inside the Virgin Megastore.The movie is screened with English subtitles which is helpful, especially when the dialogue gets pretty heavy. Get ready to cry lots though. I was sniffing the entire time.

If you go this weekend, check out the incredible sales at the Virgin store. Lots of fabulous CDs from all genres are available for less than $10!

1 Comments:

Blogger lulu said...

Hi Manish

I was a bit disappointed with the Rekha scene to be honest. I just felt she was trying too hard.

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home