Monday, August 15, 2005

Murray's Cheese



I finally went to Murray's Cheese in Greenwich Village. It is New York's most famous cheese shop. It turns out that they also have other gourmet foods there so it was a very fun food shopping trip indeed. H controlled my desire to splurge on unnecessaties (mais non!) like sea salted capers and white truffle oil but he couldn't stop me from buying a few different cheeses, a bamboo cheese board, a cheese knife and some sheets of a specially waxed paper that keeps cheese really fresh.

Ribafria was one of the two cheeses I brought home. It's a blackpeppercorn encrusted goat cheese from Portugal that is spicy and pungent. Definitely not for the less adventurous souls. I also bought was Tomme de Savoie, which I am sure you've heard of as it's quite popular. Tomme is made from raw cow's milk and has a salty taste and semi-soft texture. It is made from skim milk so is quite healthy actually. The other two cheeses you can see on my new bamboo board in the photo are Parmesan and Brie both of which I always keep handy. I used to consider Parmesan only a cooking cheese until I moved to Manhattan last year and saw it being served in strips or squares on cheese plates. Now it's my favourite cocktail snack!

For those of you who don't want to make it all the way to the Village, Murray's has a location in Grand Central as well.

Murray's Cheese
Greenwich Village
254 Bleecker St. (between 6th & 7th Ave.)
New York, NY 10014
(212) 243-3289
Store Hours:
Mon - Sat: 8am-8pm
Sunday: 9am-6pm

3 Comments:

Blogger rums said...

hmm that picture is making my mouth water!

3:44 AM  
Blogger lulu said...

wish you could have come over on Friday night for drinks after dinner..
btw, i'm looking forward to meeting your friend shalini tomorrow!

8:37 AM  
Blogger . said...

Yum. Cheese.

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home