Sunday, June 19, 2005

Chocolate & Zucchini comes to Manhattan



I went to Otto at 5 p.m. this evening to meet the famous Clotilde of Chocolate & Zucchini fame. She is a 25-year old, Paris-based, food blogger who has become somewhat of a celebrity in the food blogging world. Her food writing and photography has such a distinctive voice and style that she has won over foodies the world over. Her popularity has increased stateside after NPR started syndicating her column.

I had read on C&Z a few weeks back that Clotilde (eighth from left in the photo) and her boyfriend, Maxxence, were going to be in Manhattan. They had organized a get-together at Otto's enoteca so that fellow bloggers and C&Z fans could mingle over Italian wine and antipasti nibbles. Clotilde and Max arrived after a few of us had already gotten an amicable, food-centric conversation going.

Clotilde was definitely the center of attraction from the moment she arrived. Tall and striking, she seems tres sophisticated and as charming in person as in her blog. Luckily, I got to speak to her at the very beginning so did not have to stand around, waiting for the right opportunity. We chatted about her time in the Bay Area, digital photography and my stint in France. Max was very friendly as well and I got to practice my French with him. I found out that he's the technical brain behind C&Z as they house the servers in their apartment in Mont Martre!

Once I had met Clotilde, I was eager to meet the others. The big bonus of this event was talking with other New York bloggers and foodies. I spent the most time chatting with Samantha and Adam who were both very warm and personable:

bloggers

I was also glad to have met Josh and David who I spoke to briefly. David was particularly generous and bought everyone a bottle of wine and some white bean bruschetta. I thought that was a very nice gesture, especially since we were all strangers. I was most impressed by Jessica who had made macaroons with chocolate-chip filling for everyone.

I look forward to meeting and getting to know all the New York bloggers. Please let me know if you're interested in coming to a potluck - I'm happy to organize and host. Leave a comment here or email me at lools@hotmail.com with the subject: NYC Bloggers Potluck.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, yes, yes yes to a potluck! Just wanted to put in my "aye" vote early. It was so lovely to meet you!

peace
Lisa

2:20 AM  
Blogger rums said...

oh you lucky girl! you got to meet adam! i simply love his blog and the expressions on his friend lisa's face!

2:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lulu,

Great to meet you! I'm sorry we had to take off early, but what a huge crowd that formed. Put me down for a future event.

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi LuLu,

It was *so* nice to meet you, that's so funny that I've been reading your blog and we finally got a chance to meet in person. Thanks for posting the pics too so fast, we had dinner at Otto with Mickey, Susann and our friend Christina last night, so we got home rather late!

Looking forward to seeing you soon... we'll chat on email. :D

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, have you ever seen this site... I think you'll like it... The Hungry Tiger (http://www.stuttercut.org/hungry/).

4:26 PM  
Blogger gs said...

lulu,you seem to have had a fab time with fellow-bloggers.how about potluck in september?

9:28 PM  
Blogger lulu said...

hi everyone
sorry for taking so long to respond to various posts. i was actually pretty slammed at work all day today and then met a friend for dinner at "amma" which i will be writing about soon.

glad to know that everyone's up for potluck. i was thinking of sunday, july 11th. how does that sound to those interested - lisa, josh, samantha and david for now. let's agree on the date and then we can work from there.

very nice to have met ya'll as well. samantha, thanks for passing on the URL for "the hungry tiger." i took a quick look and it seems like i would like the blog a lot.

really look forward to getting to know everyone through our shared passion for food adventures!

10:49 PM  
Blogger gs said...

taking a closer look at the group photo i realised that you are wearing a 'retta pinnal'.and you are looking very cheerful!

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agh, I haven't been reading any blogs for the last few weeks, and missed this! I am so sad...

10:36 PM  
Blogger lulu said...

Look forward to meeting you next time, Chris.

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lulu - Great chatting with you at Otto. We spoke about your experiences in San Francisco vs your fears about coming to NYC and how much you now love living here. I was wearing the pink sweater. Looking forward to hearing more about the potluck.

3:35 PM  
Blogger lulu said...

Hi Andrea
You should be in touch with Samantha from The Samantha Files. I know there's a potluck in Central Park on July 17th that she's organized along with some others. I'm going to miss it as I will be be travelling that weekend. Look forward to meeting you at some other point soon.
Lulu

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home