Saturday, August 21, 2004

In search of good Mexican..


Mexican Cat
Originally uploaded by lools.

I have to confess that I miss the Bay Area terribly. Especially when I have my Mexican food cravings. Nothing here comes close to my many favourite dives in the Mission or even the nicer upscale places in Mountain View or Palo Alto. I can't wait to get my hands on some of best green salsa in the world (from Casa Sanchez, a quintessential Mission taqueria)..

My first few experiences with Mexican food in Manhattan were a huge let down. I complained severely about the horrible salsa, the lack of fresh ingredients etc. But recently I've found two good places that satisfy my burrito and tomatillo cravings..

Chango (239 Park Avenue SOuth at 19th)

This place is right opposite work - I could not believe I hadn't tried it earlier. Very festive ambience, margaritas to die for and a decent selection of vegetarian options. I had a wild mushroom quesadilla for lunch yesterday and it so easily melted in my mouth..the flavours were just right and the mushrooms were fully cooked..

Uncle Moes Burrito & Taco Shop (14, W19th street)

This taqueria is a real gem. You get an authentic feel when you walk in from the zillion options that are written on blackboards with colored chalk. The burritos are huge but don't fall apart while eating. And best of all is the salsa station where you can pick from 10 different varieties - my favourite is the fiery roasted tomato salsa. Be sure to pop in for at least one taco when passing by 19th street next!

3 Comments:

Blogger gs said...

hey lools
i know you are a mexican food buff.and how can one find fault with you.when i visited a potential customer in philadelphia my host took me to a mexican restaurant.and the enchaladas and salsas i had were heavenly.there are lot of commonalities between the mexican and indian cultures.that is an area which i would like to probe during my free time.i have identified a new restaurant in south bombay.it is called caliente-it is a spanish style restaurant,lounge and bar.we will try it out soon and send our opinion.
have you tried the turkey bread and lassi?-gezolme and aryan?
appa

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I am delighted to find your blog via Amy's which I read faithfully each day. I started from the first day and your pictures are great and enjoyed the write ups. I have just added you to favorite places, you have a good thing going!

BunnyFace

5:24 PM  
Blogger lulu said...

Hi BunnyFace

Thanks for your comments on my blog! I'm a loyal Cooking with Amy reader myself and really enjoy Amy's food writing. In fact, Amy was the inspiration for my joining the blogging revolution. Now you should start blogging away too..

:)

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home