Sunday, February 27, 2005

Pat Pong delights!


Panaeng curry at Pat Pong
Originally uploaded by lools.

No, I'm not talking about the famous red light district in Bangkok but a tiny and homey East Village eatery specialing in Thai cuisine. Of course, there are multiclored lanterns and some art work that hint at the name's origins but the comparision stops there. Manhattan's Pat Pong is an intimate (seating capacity is twenty max!) and deeply satisfying (amazingly fresh flavours) experience in the best of modern Thai cooking.

At Pat Pong, I fell in love with Thai food all over again. From the intricate summer rolls in tangy tamarind sauce to the simple red curry with veggies, I enjoyed my food tremendously without having to shut out the fish sauces and shrimp powders that usually get included despite special instructions. But the folks at Pat Pong were more than attentive to my vegetarian needs - they even suggested they make pad thai without eggs. The pad thai, by the way, was absolultely crunchy and delicious.

Pat Pong was my first Thai food experience in Manhattan - shows you how much I avoided Thai despite being here for 6+ months. Now that the gold standard has been set, I'll have to see how other places stack up. Somehow I have a feeling that I'll be seeking out more Thai places now!

Pat Pong
93 East 7th
New York, New York
(212) 505-6454

3 Comments:

Blogger Nish said...

Hey Lulu,
a great home-made receipe for thai green curry is to just throw in lots of coriander and green chillies and giner in to the blender and then add coconut milk to the paste - i bund in eggplant, topu, peas, carrots, potatoes, whatever. My blog in coming along - I'm still working on a identity for it so will work on design as it comes I guess. hope you can keep checking it whenever u have the time
http://margaritasandmiaows.blogspot.com

3:21 AM  
Blogger gs said...

i remember having eaten thai food many years ago in dusseldorf.it was dinner time and i was absolutely famished.i ordered for plain rice and vegetable curry.it came with tons of coconut milk on it;i mean the curry.it was delicious.so it is time again to check out at a thai eatery in south bombay.

10:28 AM  
Blogger rums said...

the best place for thai food in b'bay, as far as i can remember was the thai food place at the president.

1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home