Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Off to Istanbul



I'm off to Istanbul tomorrow for Aylin and Max's wedding. Aylin and I were in undergrad together in North Carolina and we've kept in touch over the years. She even made it to my wedding in Bombay many years back.

I'm really excited about visiting Turkey as it will be my first time. I've been hearing so much about what an exotic city Istanbul is. How lucky to be there for a wedding - I can't think of a better excuse to visit a country and a better way to get to know the people, the food and the culture. I'm not taking my laptop so I won't be able to post regularly and share my experiences with you but I'll see if I can find an Internet cafe from where I can blog.

Please do let me know if you have any suggestions for what to see and where to eat

I'll back back mid next week.

3 Comments:

Blogger rums said...

you lucky thing! i'm reading orhan pamuk's istanbul and am dying to visit the city. i hear their tea houses are enchanting!

3:16 AM  
Blogger lulu said...

hi rums,
we'll have to exchange notes about the book. i bought it just the other day so that i have lots of reading for the flight. especially my return which is istanbul-frankfurt-london-washington dc-la guardia. agh! that's united's mileage program for you :)
will definitely check out the tea shops, thanks for the tip.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Amy Sherman said...

My top picks for Istanbul are:

the Spice Market where you can buy wonderful dried fruits, nuts, confections and of course spices. And don't miss the mosque across the street from the market, it doesn't look like much from the outside but it has amazingly beautiful Iznik tiles inside.

The Topkapi Palace--make a point of seeing the harem and the kitchens :)

The cisterns

Have a blast!

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home