Sunday, August 28, 2005

Green pepper and tomato frittata



I've got this new kick to try a different way to cook eggs every weekend. While I was flipping through some of my cookbooks, a frittata recipe from Cook 1.0 got me excited. I was motiavted by Heidi's description of the frittata as an open-faced Italian omelet as I had a green pepper, a few tomatoes and mixed olives that I wanted to use. I improvised on Heidi's basic recipe and in less than twenty minutes from start to finish, I had hearty veggie frittata ready to be chowed down by two hungry, hungover stomachs!

Preheat oven to 450F. In a medium bowl whisk together 6 large eggs, a splash of cream (I used a few splashes of skim milk), a pinch of salt and pepper, 1/2 cup grated parmesan, 2 plum tomatoes sliced into wedges, a handful of fresh rosemary and a few red pepper flakes.

To an 8 1/2-inch ovenproof noonstick skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 shallot minced and 1 clove garlic minced. Sautee, stirring constantly until the shallots get translucent, about 2 minutes. Add thinly sliced wedges of 1 green pepper and continue to sautee till the peppers are a little soft. Turn down the heat a bit.

Add the egg mixture and cook over medium-low hear for about 5 minutes, or until just set and there isn't a lot of liquid. I added a handful of mixed olives once the eggs were almost set.

Place the skillet in the oven and bake for about 9 minutes, or until golden, firm and puffy.

I was amused with H's remarks that the frittata was like a pizza without the carbs. He added lots of tabasco and ate it just like a pizza!

4 Comments:

Blogger rums said...

hmm i love this stuff!

6:52 AM  
Blogger lulu said...

hi rums,
nice to have you back on the blog scene!
the giada cookbook i sent you has some frittata recipes as well. i also saw a spicy chorizo and red pepper frittata recipe by jamie oliver that you and sanjoy would love.

3:53 PM  
Blogger rums said...

lools, guess what?!! right after reading your post i checked out both jamie and giada's books to take a look at the frittata recipes.

7:09 AM  
Anonymous pamperedpenny said...

Just made this and it was delicious, thank you.

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home