Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Fried eggs over a salad



I was trying to make us a light lunch yesterday but I didn't want it to be so light that we would be hungry in a few hours. That's when I had the idea of frying eggs and tossing them on a bed of greens and some veggies. I'm always amazed how just a little protein goes a long way in keeping hunger at bay.

I made a salad from arugula, wild assorted mushrooms sauteed in a little bit of olive oil and cherry tomatoes. I dressed the salad with some red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, seat salt and coarsely crushed black pepper. Then I fried the eggs in a non-stick sautee pan with a little butter before gently placing them on the salad.

You can jazz up any simple green salad with eggs. I grew up thinking that eggs were meant to be consumed at breakfast only but six months in France quickly taught me that eggs can be enjoyed at literally any time of the day.

Some other things I like to do with eggs are:

* Poached eggs in a spicy tomato sauce
* Akuri
* Egg sandwich on wheat bread with gently crushed soft boiled eggs, mustard and small celery chunks
* Fried eggs on a toasted English muffin and a slice of Jarlsberg
* Egg curry
* Frittata

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blogs give everyone a voice
Disease, infection a risk for evacuees Some 460 evacuees will be brought to Charlotte over the ... He had arrived in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Hey, you have a neat blog here! I will definitely return for another look ! I have a health cholesterol site. It near enough treats most topics that match health cholesterol subjects. If you have the opportunity, kindly come and check it out.

8:53 PM  
Blogger gs said...

in my younger days when i had plain eggs with milk or boiled eggs,i got enough protein and calcium.then when i became a thorough veggy,i always had 'adai' for a protein rich diet.this is a combination of 4 dals mixed in equal proportions,allowed to ferment for about 24 hours and then you put it in a tava and prepare it like dosa.it is very filling and if you have 2 or 3 of them you wouldn't need any lunch.you are right.a high protein diet keeps hunger away for more time than others.i also find toast with cheese giving the same benefits.

3:37 AM  
Blogger lulu said...

i totally forgot about adai, appa. will have to look in my tamil cookbook and make it soon. and i'll have to go to the store and buy jaggery as well since i LOVE adai with butter and jaggery all smashed up!

6:39 PM  
Blogger gs said...

you got it spot on. adai with jaggery and oodles of butter.melts your mouth,and satisfies your palate and satiates your hunger.isn't that heavenly.and don't fprget to have it with mulagapodi too.if you need help to make it let me know.

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home