Sunday, September 11, 2005

Slow roasting tomatoes (encore)


It was about this time last year that I learnt to slow roast tomatoes. Sometimes I love spending all day Saturday or Sunday cooking and the slow roasting tomatoes in the oven which takes over 4 hours gives me a great excuse to hang around the kitchen, browse through my cookbooks and find interesting things to make.

This year, I used 6 heirloom tomatoes that I bought from Whole Foods. I cut the tomatoes from the equator and laid down the halves on a large baking tray.
I drizzled a little bit of balsamic vinegar on each half as well as some sea salt, freshly ground pepper and some fresh basil. They looked so delicious that I was super tempted to forget about roasting and enjoy the fresh and juicy tomatoes as is:



I then should have poured half a cup of extra virgin olive oil all over the tomatoes and stuck them in a pre-heated 350 degree fahrenheit oven and left them alone for about four hours at which point they become amazingly packed with flavour:


While writing this post I realized that I forgot to add the olive oil which is why the tomatoes in the photo look somewhat dry. They were as tasty though so I inadvertently cut out some calories without losing taste. These cooked tomatoes can be used in many creative ways. I like them as antipasti or between toasted bread with some pesto.

5 Comments:

Blogger gs said...

hey,wait a minute.isn't that a familiar comment?

9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lulu

I stumbled onto your blog and am very impressed with your writing style. You have inspired me to try different things to eat when I go out(instead of sticking with the usual tried and true) Please continue writing.

3:58 PM  
Blogger lulu said...

hi there,
thanks for the compliment. it's great to know that you are enjoying the blog. i will definitely continue posting regularly.
thanks for taking the time to comment.
lulu

9:57 PM  
Blogger lulu said...

hi appa,
i've just turned on a SPAM filter, so hopefully we won't see such comments again.
i'll send you an email on how to do it for your blog.

9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lulu
Stumbled on your sight just by chance and I think as a bombayite in a foreign land like you, discovering the local culture through their culinary traditions, your blog is good fun as well as an inspiration.Keep it up!

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home