Thursday, October 27, 2005

All you can eat for $5.95 at Chennai Garden!



Chennai Garden keeps getting better. I go to this Indian restaurant on 27th and Lex quite often to satisfy my bhel puri cravings but I recently discovered an incredibly cheap way to get my Indian food fix. It's the lunch menu served up on weekdays for - hold your breath - $5.95, unlimited servings. I took my father here for the bhel but we discovered a fantastic buffet offering a wide variety of dishes including tomato and onion uttapamlings, spicy sambhar, tadka daal, a few different sabzis, raita, raw veggies (carrost, onions), parathas, lemon rice and payasam. The food (especially the sambhar) tasted like it was made at home with the best spices. My father spoke to one of the owners and found out that the cooks are from Chennai, Coimbatore and Pondicherry in Tamil Nadu. Pretty amazing that these chaps can prepare not only authentic South Indian dishes but also North Indian favourites like daals and subzies. I just can't believe what a great deal this is for a Manhattan restaurant. No wonder the place was packed with Indians and non-Indians alike. The owner was boasting that Chennai Garden has the most non-Indian clientele of all the neighbourhood Indian restaurants. So if you haven't tried Indian food as yet, this is a low-cost way to try authentic Indian food.

2 Comments:

Blogger beXn said...

I can't wait to eat here! My friend A$ and i are planning to go soon, and we'll definitely try the bhel puri.

9:21 PM  
Blogger lulu said...

cool! let me know how you like the food at chennai garden.

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home