Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Tempeh in Charmoula



One last dish from Moroccan cuisine that I want to share with you this month is tempeh in charmoula. I made it for dinner this weekend and everyone loved it! Charmoula is a classic Moroccan herb and spice vinaigrette that is great on tempeh. You can also use this recipe and substitute the tempeh with a fish like tilapia, striped bass or red snapper filletes.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, thinly sliced (1 cup)
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, soaked in warm water until softened, drained and cut into thin strips
1/2 cup olives, preferably Gaeta or calamata, left whole
3 cloves minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped parsely leaves
1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
salt
4 5-ounce pieces of tempeh or fish

Procedure:
Preheat the overn to 400F. Warm 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a meidum skillet. Add the onions and saute until softened over medium-low heat, about 10 minutes. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and the olives and saute to heat through. Place in a baking dish large enough to hold the tempeh or fish in a single layer. In a small bowl stir together the garlic, parsely, cilantro, paprika, cumin, lemon juice, the remaining 1/4 cup oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Sprinkle the tempeh or fish with salt and pepper and place on top of the onion mixture. Cover with the herb and spice mixture.Bake about 20 minutes, until the fish is cooked through. Serve hot.

7 Comments:

Blogger The Yankee said...

Lulu that sound delicious!

7:51 PM  
Blogger rums said...

yummm will try this out after i make my next trip to buy fish.

5:22 AM  
Blogger tanvi said...

Lulu, that sounds very good! Ive never actually had tempeh- this recipe is a good reason to try, though. What does tempeh taste like?

On another note, Im heading for to NYC for a (very) short trip- Ill be near the NYU Medical School campus. Since you're vegetarian, I thought Id ask you for places I must eat near that neighborhood. Let me know if you have any good suggestions for me! :-)

1:02 PM  
Blogger lulu said...

hi yankee,
thanks! nice to hear from you after a while.

hi rums,
would love to know if this dish turned out well for you.

hi tanvi,
tempeh tastes like veggie burgers from la boca or amy's. i use a brand called lightlife which comes in different flavours like garden veggie, wild rice etc. the plain tempeh itself is not that tasty but it has a rubbery texture that i actually enjoy. i usually simmer the tempeh in soy before using.

in terms of places for you to try out, here are a whole bunch near where you will be:

kati roll (indian)
indian bread company (indian)
zen palace (asian)
republic (asian fusion)
mangiami (italian)
rainbow falafel (middle eastern take-out)
babu (bengali)
cafe havana (cuban)
dos caminos (mexican)
otto (italian)

i think i have reviewed most of these on my blog. none of them exepct zen palace are purely vegetarian but they all have lots of great vegetarian choices. if you want something quite upscale, i'd recommend mesa grill which is one of my favourite restaurants in the city.

have a great trip! i look forward to reading about it on your blog.

5:00 PM  
Blogger tanvi said...

Hey Lulu- Thanks for the suggestions! Ill be digging through your archives as well. My trip's at the end of the month, and I cant wait :-)

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a very informative post for me. Very timely. I've had tempeh on the mind lately.
I used to eat it in college at a vegan friend's house, but I've never cooked it up myself ~ yet! Is it Moroccan? I always thought it was just a modern meat substitute. I also didn't know it could be used in place of fish. What interests me in particular is the spicing. I've been wanting to feature it on my Indian spice blog Naughty Curry. Thanks for the heads up!

4:54 PM  
Blogger lulu said...

hi courtney
tempeh is not moroccan at all. it's just that myra kornfield (the chef from whom i learnt moroccan cooking) suggested tempeh as a fish substitute that would work well with the charmoula sauce.

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home