Monday, October 11, 2004

17th btw Broadway and Fifth


map
Originally uploaded by lools.

I've gotta love Manhattan. Where else in the world can I choose from Middle Eastern, Californian or Japanese cuisine for lunch and not worry if I change my mind for one or the other as they are all located on the same block!

At lunch time, I usually head towards the general direction of Union Square on Broadway. I enjoy window shopping while I decide what I'm in the mood for. The good news is that I'm never short of excellent options if I stick to just one block - 17th between Broadway and Fifth. Here are my favourite lunchtime eateries:

Rainbow Falafel
Undoubtedly one of the best falafel places in town. Always rated among the Top Ten Middle Eastern places in Manhattan. I usually get their lemony tabouleh and falafel without the pita - yes, they cater to carb-watchers!

Chop't
Unbelievabaly fresh salads. The dazzling array of possible greens and ingredients combinations can get you a bit dizzy. I usually get mesclun greens, tomato, cucumbers, onions, feta and raisins "chop't" with a simple vinaigrette all stuffed in a whole wheat lavash. Delicious.

Ennju
This is my favourite stop on the block, perhaps because I'm so into Japanese these days. It's a pretty basic Japanese self-service cafe but they get very creative with their sushi (eel wrapped in fresh mango etc) and have a very flavourful vegetable udon soup that I love. Every time I go there, I'm kicked with the Hello Kitty biscuits proudly on display for sale. I guess I've never quite understood the fascination even adults retain with that cutesy character! Ennju has a fantastic selection of hot and cold teas to calm the nerves.

As you can see, I'm beginning to fall in love with Manhattan...

3 Comments:

Blogger gs said...

ohaio godamaaz!
you are already an international person.spanish,french,korean,japanese and meditteranean!
wow.sounds very exciting.newyork has already got hold of you.in a very short time.
gs

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As someone who used to work on that very block, I will second Rainbow Falafel as the best falafel in the city. The baklava and chicken shawarma are fantastic as well. Excellent (though messy) for eating in the park on a break from the office.

9:38 PM  
Blogger lulu said...

Agree that the falafel sandwich is extremely messy. I don't think I've ever eaten it without a spill ;(
Somehow, the excellent taste makes up for the mess!

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home