Thursday, October 28, 2004

Caramelized Pears



Originally uploaded by lools.

August through October is the height of the pear season though you can pretty much find them all year round in Manhattan. At the peak of summer, I love biting into succulent Anjou pears that are bursting with tangy flavours. As it gets colder, I turn to fully ripe Bartletts which work really well in desserts.

I recently came across a recipe for caramelized pears in Everyday Food magazine that is extremely simple and produces amazing results every time. Follow instructions and once the pears are cooked and the sauce is of your desired consistency, heap on a generous dollop of vanilla icecream and enjoy!

Recipe:
Halve 4 red Bartlett pears lengthwise; remove cores. Place 1/3 cup granulated sugar on a plate. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Press cute side of each halved pear in sugar; place cut side down in skillet (fit will be smug). Cook until beginning to brown. 7 to 8 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water. Cover; simmer until pears are tender, 5 to 10 minutes (depending on ripeness), adding more water if sugar begins to burn. Remove pears from skillet. If liquid in pan is thin, simmer until thickened to a saucelike consistency; if it is thick, add more water. Serve sauce over pears.

Serves 4
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes

6 Comments:

Blogger FRITZ said...

I don't know how old this post is, but it works WONDERFULLY and I've truly enjoyed my pears this October! Thank you for sharing this...I'll tuck this little secret away for every fall...

1:28 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

I tried a caramelized pear & onion sandwich at a local restaurant, and it was horrible. I've been thinking about recreating it myself the way it should be, and this sounds easy. Now I'm really looking forward to the results!

4:21 PM  
Blogger Spiker said...

I make an amazing salad with caramelized pears. i use a different method but yours sounds great! If yo like food check out my blog theorganickitchen.blogspot.com

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try the carmalized pears on a piece of rye bread toasted, then add brie and gorganzola cheese and melt....to DIE FOR

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was stolen verbatim from Martha Stewart's website....

1:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not think saying the recipe was stolen is true when credit was given for where she found the recipe. Also like other things in life recipes are best when shared and often in the sharing the original creator of the recipe is lost. The point is that we share the things that are good and spread the joy. Thank you Lulu for sharing. I am excited to try this.

4:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home