Thursday, March 10, 2005

Simple khichdi

Originally uploaded by lools.

Khichdi is a delicious Indian one-pot dish made from rice and daal. It literally means to mash everything up. You can get real fancy by adding vegetables and all sorts of spices but I like my khichdi at its bare minimum, especially when I'm home sick nursing a chest infection. And take-out from a Manhattan restaurant is not appealing at all.

I haven't been motivated to cook these past few days but my mom reminded me this morning while I was chatting with her that it is amazingly simple to make khichdi. I had forgotten about how she used to feed me this dish when I was sick so often as a child. I quickly dug out my pressure cooker and got to work before my energy drained.

Take 1 cup rice, 3/4 cup moong dal, 1/2 tsp turmeric and 1 tsp salt. Add to pressure cooker along with 2+ cups of water. After three whistles, remove from heat. Mash up the cooked rice and moong dal adding a bit of warm water if you need to. Heat some ghee or butter in a small pan, add jeera (cumin seeds) till it gets brown and you can smell its lovely aroma. Pour on top of the khichdi. Serve hot.

One bite and I could already feel my energy coming back...


Blogger gs said...

yes,khichdi is great when you are convalescing.but then pongal is greater! you can add some jeera and whole black pepper and cashewnut(all fried in a little bit of ghee) to the cooked rice and moongdal and the taste is divine.

1:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home