Monday, April 04, 2005

'wichcraft




Spring is here and I literally bit into its crispiness and freshness at lunch today. Having barely five minutes to grab a sandwich, I hopped across to my favourite soup and sandwich place in the city, 'wichcraft.

'wichcraft is Tom Collichio's third restaurant in the same block (east 19th between Park and Broadway) following Craft and Craftbar. Except that here you get his same gourmet take on simple breakfast and lunch delicacies for a fraction of the price. Now, I don't mean to make this place sound cheap, but it's certainly more affordable than the other two Tom Collichio restaurants.

I usually get the soup and sandwich combo for lunch. Soup today was a split pea which was unbelievably velvety with nice variety in every spoon from the freshly grated black pepper and the toasted bread cubes. Sandwich was pesto, avocado, goat cheese, celery and watercress on a multi-grain wheat bread. It was so incredibly light that I almost gobbled it all up in a few bites. The crunchiness of the celery paired amazingly with the softness of the fresh goat cheese. The watercress, an unusual green in a sandwich, had a wonderfully stimulating taste and texture. I washed it down with Green Jasmine Tea's Tea.

As I crossed the road and went back to my office building, I sighed with regret at not being able to enjoy the glorious weather this afternoon. But I am so excited about my first spring in Manhattan. Some say this is the best time of the year in the city. Not sultry and oppressive like the summer or cold and depressing like the winter.
I can't wait to discover all the joys of this season.

'wichcraft
49 East 19th Street
866-wichcraft

3 Comments:

Blogger gs said...

you really seem to have become a great tea afficianado.camellia sinensis seems to have bowled you over.why not?.the american health foundation advises you to drink 10 glasses of green or black tea a day.and add to it 8 glasses of water. wouldn' that really be a storm in the teacup?. wait for more khabar on tea.you will be flabbergasted.it should appear on my blog soon.three cheers to green tea!

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lulu, found your blog while looking up info on Babu restaurant. I've really enjoyed some of your blogs (and it's always nice to read restaurant reviews by a fellow vegetarian).

Keep up the good work,
Neha@digisoy.net

5:15 PM  
Blogger lulu said...

Hi Neha,
Thanks for the compliment. Glad you're enjoying my blog. I was wondering if there were vegetarians out there who were reading my reviews, so it was especially nice to read your comment.
Did you eat try out Babu? What did you think?
Lulu

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home