Friday, March 25, 2005

The novel in you



Originally uploaded by lools.

"Among publishers it's an article of faith that people no longer want to read books; they just want to write them. The old adage that everyone has a novel in them is being tested as never before, only this novel has turned out to be autobiographical. From television to the Internet, the confessional is rapidly becoming the de facto mode of expression. Everyone, it seems, wants to be heard."

I couldn't agree more with this excerpt from BlackBook's editorial in the latest issue. After all, it was my own inherent desire to be heard that prompted me to start blogging back in August 2005. Moving to a new city and trying to make it my home was just the perfect excuse! And now I'm even flirting with the idea of writing a book based on my experiences. This is something I would not have even wildly dreamt about before blogs happened.

I can see novels of different sorts authored by folks I know, unravelling one post at a time on their blogs Check these out and see for yourselves...

Cooking with Amy will be the first among those I know to publish a book. My bet is that she'll be writing on gourmet for dummies or something along the lines of making cooking more accesible!

Life and Food will be about an ex-journalist's musings on life after motherhood. I love Rumy's writing style and the subjects she chooses to blog on.

Margaritas & Miaows will become a no holes barred confession of a 29 year old married "babe" based in Bombay. Reading Nisha's hilariously honest writing has given my an entirely new perspective on what makes her tick!

Chumma Chumma will be a chatty commentary on life and socety in Bombay. I'm so proud of my father and how web-savvy he has become. I can't think of any other 50+ year olds who blog!

These are just some of the many blogs I read every day. Don't know about you guys, but I love reading blogs. They bring fresh perspectives on different topics and just so much more fun to read than the esteemed publications. In fact, I think that my consumption of commercial media may be in gradual decline given how many blogs I read everyday.

Hey, what are you waiting for? Where's that novel in you? Start blogging!

4 Comments:

Blogger gs said...

i love blogging.the pity is i really don't have enough time to blog.mentally,i have already decided on about ten topics which i will be posting on the blog soon.and there is no doubt that once you start giving expression to your thoughts on the blog,words just flow.there is this latent writing ability in most of us.blogging is an oppotunity to exploit that.i couldn't agree more with you.

1:18 AM  
Blogger rums said...

thanks lulu! have just come back from b'bay and am totally missing the place!

12:24 AM  
Blogger Nish said...

hey lulu,
thanks for the plug:) you are my inspiration for the blog, so hope i will be following u with the novel in me - mine will probably die after the fiftieth drunken escapade after my friends convince me nobody would want to read about that.
miss u loads - wish could be with u so have more stuff to write about

1:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey and don't forget the chapter "Romanian sausages in New York and San Francisco"

I know a ghost writer for just that topic.

12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home