Sunday, March 20, 2005

Lucky Bamboo



Originally uploaded by lools.

Inspired by the lovely Lucky Bamboo plants at Shri's spacious and stylish Manhattan loft, I bought myself a Lucky Bamboo plant from one of the stores on 28th street (between 6th and 7th) in the Flower District. I read somewhere that Lucky Bamboo is "luckiest" if received as a gift - not sure though how much luck this plant is going to bring me given that I gifted it to myself!

Lucky Bamboo plants are really low maintenance and are just perfect for Manhattan apartments that may not get much sunlight. They don't even need soil in order to grow. Just some pebbles and some pure water every now and then is enough to keep them going. Hopefully I can keep this plant alive longer than my croton which died a slow death from lack of nutrition while I was on vacation in India.

5 Comments:

Blogger rums said...

these bamboos are big out here. every other house you visit has at least one. i have been thinking of getting one but unfortunately i don't possess a green thumb and plants die in surprising haste in my house. the only one that has survived is a curry plant. glad you told me that these things are zero maintainence. i think i'll go get one. they look really nice and that particular shade of green relaxes me.

5:40 AM  
Blogger lulu said...

you should definitely get one, rums. they look so nice, especially in square glass vases with coloured pebbles..

8:26 AM  
Blogger gs said...

i am in bangalore since yesterday.nirmala periamma told me about the ghastly fire in versova layout a couple of days ago.luckily, except for one house whose ceiling got damaged,the other buildings escaped.there were no casualties.
it all started from the bamboo grove that exists in this layout. it appears that some illiterate women set fire to lots of leaves that were lying around and the fire spread to the bamboo shoots.then on it was hell as missile like objects were flying in all directions.and there was the transformer substation nearby! luckily all the residents got together and contained the fire.
well this is just news for you.
wish you all the luck with the bamboo plant.even if you are the giver and recipient as well.

9:14 PM  
Blogger lulu said...

thanks for the scare, dad!! i'll be careful with my lucky bamboo though. actually, the risk of fire is greater with candles. i read that while the u.s. candle industry has been steadily growing, so has the number of domestic fires caused by candles. one really needs to take care.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Nish said...

hey lulu,
hope you have good luck with your bamboo - i didnt but it sure was a good post-dinner chewing delicacy for my cats.

1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home