Sunday, March 13, 2005

Rave*SQ - new lifestyle magazine



Originally uploaded by lools.

I've been getting complimentary subscriptions to so many interesting magazines these days that I'm beginning to wonder which mailing list my name is on! Yesterday, I found a glossy, oversized, almost ad-free magazine called rave*sq in my mailbox. Upon further investigation online, I found that rave*sq is a new US-based South Asian lifestyle, culture and arts magazine targeted at young professionals who are fashionable, culturally savvy and well-traveled (ahem!). The sister publication is Rave, which has been published in India for over four years now and is well-known for promoting various lesser known artists and musicians.

Very much like Verve ,my favourite Indian magazine that I wrote about earlier, rave*sq celebrates South Asian women in the U.S. who are ambitiously following their passions and carving their own paths. There's a lot of inspiration to be found between the pages. I loved the article on Shazia Sikander, a young Pakistani artist who is receiving international acclaim. I was also excited to discover Rabbi Shergill, a sufi musician whose ambition is "to be a sardar playing rock to a packed crowd".

The magazine is currently very Manhattan focused as evidenced by "Upcoming Events" and "Restaurant Reviews". I have a feeling though that as the magazine gains readership, other U.S. cities with large South Asian populations will start featuring more. For me, the biggest reason to read rave*sq is to discover new artists, filmmakers, writers and be aware of interesting cultural events in the city.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm passing this along to the media people on my team of S. Asian descent, so we can support the publication and help make it a success.

6:53 PM  
Blogger lulu said...

Cool! Thanks, Ruch!

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Lulu,

We at RAVE*SQ magazine wanted to thank you (and Ruch) for your kind words and generous support. Please email me (aarti@ravesq.com) your contact information so that we can send you an invite to our upcoming summer white party.

Cheers,
Aarti

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home